Monday, June 11, 2007

The Goal

Okay, this is the last post about blogging in general for awhile.

So, far, I do not have an audience. In time I hope to have a few dedicated readers. But, that is not necessarily the goal.

When I was a musician playing in a band, I hated the business part. I could not stand the schmoozing required to get gigs. I felt like I was going around saying, "Come see us! Come see us! we need your attention." Truthfully, I just loved the feeling of playing in a band and making music. It was a thrilling experience. I enjoyed practicing as much as playing before an audience. Needless to say, this attitude did not help build an audience and all the bands I were in were great bands, but lost in obscurity. To tell you the truth, I felt contempt for the audience.

Successful bloggers get hits and traffic grows on their blogs. This means they are part of the blogosphere. I read some of these blogs out there and find some entertaining. I think to be a successful blogger you have to be entertaining, informative, provocative or have a specific focus. I suppose I could be any of these, but an even greater requirement is to post on other blogs and build an audience that will eventually come visit your blog. This is the marketing end and it is the part I detest, again because I feel like a prostitute going around and saying "look at me! Look at me! I have something important to say."

What does all of this mean? Well, I will never be a successful blogger just like I was never in a successful band. If there is ever a large audience coming here, I will detest the majority of them, not because I don't like people, but because I abhor the crowd. If you are here and have read up to this point, you are not part of the crowd. I like you.

No comments: